Friday, November 6, 2009

Got Water?

I have just recently completed a five paragraph essay for a humanities class that I'm taking. I chose the subject of dehydration and its numerous effects - and I found some very interesting facts about water in my resaerch! So, instead of sharing my whole essay :) , I thought I would just share a few of the facts I learned....


    • 75% of Americans are (unknowingly) chronically dehydrated

    • Water is involved in every single process and function inside the body

    • Next to oxygen, water is the most essential element for the body!

    • Even MILD dehydration will slow a person's metabolism down as much as 3%

    • A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focussing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

    • One glass of water shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the time

    • Drinking plenty of water helps combat ailments (flu, colds, headaches, back pain, fatigue, fever) - you have a better chance of staying heathy by drinking water, because...

    • Water flushes out toxins away from the cells and out of the body

    • And water also carries nutrients and oxygen to the cells and helps to convert food into energy

    • Drinking plenty of water helps you have more productivity at work

    • The body becomes dehydrated before it tells you that you're thirsty - so avoid getting thirsty!

    • On a daily basis, the body loses about 100 oz of water (mostly through sweat and exhaling)

    • The average water intake should be eight 8 oz glasses of water a day (of course, this varies on your body build and your daily amount of exercise)

I didn't know this, but you lose more water in the winter than in the summer because the air is so dry. So you should be drinking a little more water than usual in the winter to keep your body hydrated.

There is so much to learn about water's role in the body and why it's so essential! This winter, I encourage you all to make an intentional effort to drink more water! God has created the perfect drink for our bodies - and nothing can substitute it (and it's calorie-free)! So, get in there and grab you a glass of good ol' H2O!


John 4:13-14
Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee!!! You're leaving me a comment! Thanks for taking the time to read my post and share your thoughts. I LOVE hearing from you!