Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"Carrying the Cross Around the World"

"The cross is a reminder of God's love for all people. It is at the foot of the cross where the best of God meets the worst of mankind." -- Keith Wheeler

Keith Wheeler felt God's call in 1985 to carry a 12-foot wooden cross through the streets in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Good Friday. Sounds crazy? Keith Wheeler thought so too. But these words kept burning in his heart:

"Anyone can carry a cross--think about Simon of Cyrene; he carried Jesus' cross. Anyone can die on a cross--think about the two thieves on either side of Jesus. Only One, however, could die for the sins of the world ... and that was because of love. I want you to take the cross and identify that message of love along the roadsides of this world."

Since carrying the cross in Tulsa that Good Friday, Wheeler carried the cross to Oklahoma City and then to Arkansas, then eventually overseas. He has now walked with the cross for 25 years, nearly 20,000 miles, and through more than 185 countries on all seven continents.

Keith has carried the cross through Rwanda, Bosnia, Chechnya, Nicaragua, El Salvador, all throughout the Middle East - Iraq, Iran, even Antarctica!!! Though most counties welcome him, he has been arrested many times and jailed (none for crimes). He has also been held at gunpoint, beaten and left for dead, accused of being a spy for the CIA, run over and stabbed.

Keith obeys God no matter the cost, and God has continually provided for and protected him. In Kieth's own words, "When God called me to the mission of taking the cross to the nations of the world I felt His instruction was to "seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness …" (Matthew 6:33). I felt that He said that if I pursued His Kingdom, His righteousness, and His purposes that He would meet all the necessary needs. I have been amazed at God's grace and mercy as He has provided for and watched over me as I have gone with the cross, and the message of God's love into the world. I can truly say Jesus has done it all!!"

Mark 8:34: "If anyone wishes to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."



video platform

video management

video solutions

video player




This video is about 20 minutes, but please watch it. This is one of the most inspirational videos I have ever seen. You have to see it! Keith shows what it really means to follow Christ.




For more information about Keith Wheeler, visit his website at http://www.kw.org/index.htm, or see these articles:


http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100403_18_A1_KeithW827779&archive=yes


http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12249438

2 comments:

Yippee!!! You're leaving me a comment! Thanks for taking the time to read my post and share your thoughts. I LOVE hearing from you!